|The title of this article is conjectural. An official name for the article's subject has not been found, so it has been given a fitting title by editors. If there is an official name, it is requested that Cranky be moved to the correct name.|
Cranky villagers (オレ Ore, or コワイ Kowai) (also called Grumpy villagers), are male villagers in the Animal Crossing series. The name is a direct reference to the meaning of cranky; someone who is irritated or annoyed easily. As of now, there are 63 cranky villagers.
The cranky characters can seem quite bitter and out-of-touch with social trends, making them generally unpopular with the peppy villagers. They have the deepest voice of all the characters except Joan, and many have frowns.
In Animal Crossing they go to sleep at 5:00 AM, and wake up at 10:00 AM. In Wild World and City Folk they go to sleep at 4:30 am and wake up at 10:00 am each day. In New Leaf they go to bed at 4:00 am and get up at 10:00 am. When trying to enter the house of a cranky villager before they wake up, the letter explaining that they are asleep is much angrier than other personalities.
They usually spend a small amount of their day in their houses, and most of the day out. They are very self-centered and often enjoy gossiping about lifestyles of other villagers, making them snobby as well as grouchy. They will act protective of the player when the player becomes friends with them and they will seem to disagree with most of the things that other villagers say.
They find it easy to get along with snooty, jock and other cranky villagers, usually discussing trivial things such as food and the problems with unhealthy food. They find it difficult to get along with peppy, smug, and uchi villagers, who cranky villagers claim are mucking around. Thus, conversations between a cranky villager and a villager of one of these types will result in one of them depressed and occasionally cranky villagers will tell the player that things are getting boring so they are considering spreading rumors about another animal and 'watching the fun.' The usual response from either of the personalities is to call them an 'old man' or 'grandpa.' They also get along with lazy and normal villagers most of the time, but can directly offend them when anything wrong has been said.
Although they may appear unfriendly, if the player talks to them, does errands for them and sends them letters for long enough, they will eventually begin to open up and will be more friendly with the player. In Animal Crossing, a cranky character will often speak to the player about their niece after becoming friends. Also, in City Folk, they may say this to another cranky villager. When a cranky villager becomes sad, he will say something along the lines of how he 'lives in a cold world.' They can usually grow to be close friends if the player meets them often and sends them letters with presents attached. Many of their picture quotes are a variant of "I'm watching you." Cranky villagers are often the ones that give the player an invitation to Crazy Redd's, though they do warn them about how sly he can be.
When a player gets closer to a cranky villager, the villager may appear more gentleman-like than the other villagers, because while the player is getting to know them, they may refer to themselves as more mature or like an old man.
In Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer they state to follow ukulele lessons and show their knack for everything related to Hawaii.
Below are some (not all) quotes made by cranky villagers.
- To a female player: "You're looking as saucy as ever, I see."
- Note on their house: "I'm not here!"
- "Hey, hey, <player>! You got somethin' you wanna say to me? Is it <catchphrase>?"
- "Does it make you happy, running around, irritating people all day? Huh?"
- "When a beautiful town ordinance is enacted: "Lately I get the feeling there's a lot less trash and fewer weeds, yeah? Fewer wilted flowers, too..."
- "If a cranky villager visits town after moving out: "Oh ho! <Player>! You haven't changed a bit!"
- "I feel like I just keep running into you today, <catchphrase> So what's up?"
- "Hey, you know what people are saying about you lately? That you're kind of a <rumor>? Well, I don't think they're too far off the mark there, <catchphrase>."
- "If you do the same thing every day, your body and soul will get stale. New challenges! New people! We need adventure!"
- "I bet it'd really spice things up around here if we got some visitors or someone new moved into town..."
- "Ta-da-aa-hh! 🎵 You're the lucky winner of my <furniture>! Congrats! And don't worry. I probably won't come by asking you to pay for it! GAHAHA!"
- "The tree in the event plaza has a weird sorta vibe to it, like it's watching us... I'll bet it'll watch over <town name> as the town grows bigger and bigger, just like the tree!"
- "Today I thought I'd try something a little different and wear some cute clothes but... The tag is itching so bad, I can hardly stand it anymore! I'm freaking out! <catchphrase>!"
- "...Oh! I was just about to use the weather as an excuse! But I'm not gonna lose to the weather! I'm not gonna lose to anything! <catchphrase>!"
- "Whoa, easy now, <character>. Deep breaths... Ok. Now tell papa what's up, <catchphrase>."
- "Have you heard the news? I'm talking about the rumor about Re-Tail! On days you pass by an lot of other people via StreetPass... The number of items the recycle shop will pay more for goes up! I really don't know how it works, but this kind of news is always good news, right? GAHAHA!"
- "Oh. Hey, <Character>. Whaddya want from me? <catchphrase>?"
- "Yo, <character> this is gonna seem a little weird... But just shut up and take my <item>! Hee hee! Did I surprise you? I was watching this fortune-telling program on TV... And they said good things would happen if I gave a present to the first person I thought of. And then I thought of you! So... I'm gonna go off and wait for good things to happen, <catchphrase>!"
- "Hey, take a look at this! *shows you letter* Heh heh! This is the first letter you ever sent me, right? I plan on keeping it forever! Yup, you'll never escape it! GAHAHA!"
- When at your house: "Oh I see... Well, your room is a lot cleaner than I expected! I thought It would be so messy that you wouldn't even be able to see the floor! <catchphrase>!"
- When at your house: "I can tell you probably spend a lot of time in this room! It seems so comfortable to live in here!"
- When at your house: "Either sitting down or laying down on a nice, big couch like that... Man, it's hard to beat! Your <couch> looks so comfy to sprawl out on and just take a nap!"
- When at your house: "if there's anything you don't want me to touch, just let me know in advance, OK? I mean, you probably expected me to come in here and touch all your stuff anyways, but... just to be safe!"
- When at your house: "I guess you designed this room with some sorta concept or theme in mind? I bet I wouldn't understand even if you told me. GAHAHA!"
- When leaving your house: "Well, it's time for me to hit the ol' dust trail! We didn't really talk about anything important, but it was fun hanging out just the same! <catchphrase>
Names in other languages
- The Japanese name 'ore' is a personal pronoun that is masculine and informal. It is considered offensive when used in formal situations.
- In every game of the series, crankies have the lowest pitched voice of all the personalities.