- "Trick or treat?"
- — Jack, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Jack as he appears in New Leaf
|Service||Czar of Halloween|
|Appearance(s)|| Animal Forest,|
Dōbutsu no Mori +,
Dōbutsu no Mori e+,
Animal Crossing: Wild World (Jack in the box)
Animal Crossing: City Folk,
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Jack (パンプキング Panpukingu?, Pumpking), the self-proclaimed Czar of Halloween, is a character from the Animal Crossing series whose species is specter. He appears once a year for Halloween from 6:00 PM until 1:00 AM the following day. He distributes spooky furniture, which can only be obtained through him. He wears a pumpkin on his head which, during Halloween, makes him indistinguishable from other villagers who will also ask for candy. Jack, like all other holiday-related characters, was absent from Animal Crossing: Wild World, as was Halloween and candy.
Jack wears a orange pumpkin with hollowed out eyes, circle nose, and a jagged mouth smile as his head. He wears a dark blue robe with lighter trim lines on his arms and the bottom of the robe. He wears black gloves on his hands and black boots on his feet.
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, other villagers will try to dress like Jack. But he is distinguishable by his short height and has an orange pumpkin.
In Animal Crossing
In Animal Crossing, he will be somewhere in town during Halloween. Unlike the other villagers, who wear the same clothing as him, he will not chase you. This is the same for Mayor Tortimer, who on the night will give the player a model of Katrina's tent. Upon talking to Jack, he will give the player an item of spooky furniture in exchange for candy. Doing this throughout the event will complete the set.
In Animal Crossing: Wild World
Jack does not feature in Wild World, however it could be thought that the pumpkin that appears in the Jack-in-the-box item could be a reference to Jack.
In Animal Crossing: City Folk
Jack returns in Animal Crossing: City Folk with Halloween and candy. He was announced on the Japanese website for City Folk, along with other characters. His role remains the same as in Animal Crossing, and he now calls himself the Czar of Halloween. He sends a letter out to players earlier in the month, warning of his arrival, and telling them to have candy ready. Nook's store starts selling candy on the 1st of October.
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Jack reprises his role from previous games. Here, he is much more identifiable, as even though he chases you like other villagers, impostors' costumes contain noticeable differences from his own (i.e. triangular eyes, pink skin, or taller bodies). He describes candy and lollipops as his favorite treats, and gives out creepy objects and spooky furniture, the latter of which is now purchaseable at stores. When the player gives him lollipops, he will always reward them with a creepy object, though there is a small chance of still receiving them while giving him candy. However, if you don't give him candy, he pulls a trick on you, which includes taking your items, and giving you stitched clothing.
Jack gives a piece of furniture every time the player gives him candy. All the furniture pieces look like pumpkins or Jack O'Lanterns. They are orange and, like all holiday-exclusive furniture sets, score very highly with the Happy Room Academy.
- Spooky Wall
- Spooky Carpet
- Spooky Bed
- Spooky Bookcase
- Spooky Lamp
- Spooky Wardrobe
- Spooky Sofa
- Spooky Chair
- Spooky Dresser
- Spooky Vanity
- Spooky Table
- Spooky Clock
- Spooky Paper
- His Japanese name, Pumpking, reflects his self-given title, which is a portmanteau of "Pumpkin" and "King."
- Many pumpkin characters are named "Jack" through the traditional pumpkin name "Jack O'Lantern". The name comes from an Irish folktale about a man named Stingy Jack. (see references: Here)
- Jack appropriated name could derive from the character Jack Pumpkinhead, from the Oz Fantasy novels, a character with a pumpkin for a head very much like the character in this game.
- Certain dialect found within Jack's dialogue may suggest a nod to Tim Burton's acclaimed character "Jack Skellington" who similarly proclaims to be a "King of Halloween". The character is the protagonist of the timeless movie, The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- One easy way to find Jack is to dig holes in front of everyone's house before 6:00 PM so they can't get to the player, or by wearing a matching outfit.
- The townsfolk villagers will instantaneously approach the player when trying to obtain candy when they are closer to them. This action is absent when nearing Jack. Seeing if a character comes towards the player when they stand somewhat close to them is a good test to see if they have found the true Halloween king. This method cannot be used in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.