- "Zzzzzz... Weeds... Weeds everywhere..."
- — Leif, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
|Appearance(s)||Animal Crossing: New Leaf|
|Regional Names|| Gandulio|
Leif (レイジ Reiji?, Lazy) is a new character introduced in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. He is the first of the Sloth species to appear in the series. His name is a Norse name and a play on the word 'leaf', due to how sloths live in trees and how he owns a gardening store. His Japanese name is the English word "Lazy", referring to how sloths act.
Leif runs the Gardening Store, providing seeds (both saplings and flowers), fertilizer and a few plant-themed furniture. Eventually after enough upgrading his store merges with Timmy and Tommy's store.
When 50 or more weeds have appeared in the player's town, he can occasionally be seen wandering the town. When talked to, he sometimes offers to pull some of the town's weeds. Unless he is dozing, in which case he will ask the player to pick the weeds for him.
Leif is a sloth. He has light brown fur with a white face patch. He has black spots on his eyes with a thick line that runs to the side of his face. He has pink circles on his cheeks and his mouth is clownish like. He also has small claws on his hands. For apparel, he wears a green cap with a flower print on it. He wears orange overalls and green small boots.
Leif often uses the word happy as an adjective for certain objects. In particular this can be seen when talking about his wares where he says "happy [item name]". This may be a reference to the late painter Bob Ross.
- According to Lyle, Leif is very passionate about keeping the town weed-free and gave an inspiring speech to him and Tom Nook among others.
- In the English version, the name Leif may be a reference to the English word "lief," meaning willing or glad. His name also sounds similar to the word "leaf", because of its relevance to the Gardening Store.
- Leif is the only character in the series to have moving fingers.