"Tread on a worm, and it will turn."
|Appearances||CF, NL, HHD|
|Regional names|| 멜레용 |
Nat (カメヤマさん, Kameyama-san?) is a chameleon featured in both City Folk and New Leaf. He can be found hosting the Bug-Off event in the player's town speaking with a slightly deepened cranky villager's voice. Interestingly enough, Nat is the only chameleon in the Animal Crossing series. He also appears to have an English accent from the way he speaks.
Unlike Chip, who hosts the Fishing Tourney, Nat resists the urge to eat the bugs the player enters into the Bug-Off tournament, despite chameleons relying heavily on a diet of bugs, contrary to Chip, who should have a plant-based diet. Chip will "rate" the player's fish as he eats it. However, Nat's comments on the bugs clearly indicate that he plans to eat them later, although he tries his best to hide this. Likewise, once submitted, the bugs are gone for good.
He has small spectacles that sit on the end of his nose, similar to the stereotypical style of an explorer. He carries a unique purplish-blue net which cannot be obtained by the player in the game.
Nat pitches his green and white tent outside the Town Hall(CF) or Town Tree(NL) at 9am until 6pm. During this time, he waits for players and villagers to bring him different types of bugs and apparently rates them according to rarity, luster, color and size, and then gives them a mark using an unknown point system. In reality, the bugs are only rated by size, making the Oak Silk Moth the best bug to give to Nat as it is the biggest possible bug.
For each insect given to him that is rated highly, the player will receive an item of furniture. Any insects given to him will not be returned, whether they win or not. He picks the winner at 6pm, giving a total of 9 hours to find a rare and exciting insect. A ceremony may be held if the villager visits Nat after the tournament has finished and they have ranked in the tournament.
The if the player catches the best insect they win a trophy, which is sent to them in the mail by Nat in the next few days, as well as a message on the Bulletin Board. The trophy is of a golden color and contributes to extra Feng Shui points when placed in the correct part in the player's house. In New Leaf, however, if the player ranks in the tournament, the trophy will be given to them at the ceremony.
- He has a picture in his tent of himself next to a Birdwing Butterfly.
- After catching a few insects, he says; "Hunt bugs in the fields! Hunt bugs in the hills! Hunt bugs in the streets! You must never surrender!" This is based on a famous speech by Sir Winston Churchill.
- His name is the initials for Nigel Archibald Thornberry of The Wild Thornberrys cartoon. Nat also says "smashing", just as Nigel Thornberry does, and also wears the same clothes as Nigel.
- Nat's name is a homophone for "gnat", the gnat being a type of insect.
- No matter how many points your bug has, Nat always calls the bugs "delectable".