|The title of this article is conjectural. An official name for the article's subject has not been found, so it has been given a fitting title by editors. If there is an official name, it is requested that Normal be moved to the correct name.|
Normal villagers (私 Watashi, or 普通 Futsū) (sometimes called sweet or sweetie villagers) are female characters in the Animal Crossing series. The name comes from their neutral opinion on things such as hobbies and other characters such as the player, villagers , and special visitors. They are often kind to the player. As of now, there are 71 normal villagers.
Normal villagers, despite being called "normal," have a lack of self-worth, where they feel self-depreciative. They also appear slightly obsessive with cleanliness and hygiene - a trait also found in peppy villagers. They do not, however, appear to show any concern for their physical appearance, making them happy with what they have. In Animal Crossing: Wild World, they talk about a friend called Moppina, a non-present mop which reflects on their clean-obsessive nature. They can also have a conversation with a peppy villager about Moppina, which the peppy villager may find funny. They get along very well with every villager . They usually talk about other villagers instead of talking about themselves and their problems. They will occasionally talk about themselves and their personal issues. If a normal villager stays in the player's town for a long period of time, she will get rid of all her furniture and when she does leave, she will announce to leave "empty handed, and without anything." They may conflict with snooty and cranky villagers due to their rude, arrogant, and sour nature.
They are the mother-like characters in the town, appearing friendly, sweet, and hospitable towards the player and other villagers. They like to use French expressions, too. In the original Animal Crossing, the normal villagers will wake up at 5:00 A.M. and go to sleep at 9:00 P.M. In Animal Crossing: Wild World, and Animal Crossing: City Folk, they wake at 5:00 A.M and go to sleep at 1:00 A.M. In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, they wake up at 6:00 A.M. and go to sleep at 12:00 A.M. They are very rarely (if at all) angry and tend to take insults and disappointment easily, but will apologize even though they may not have done anything. They also seem to enjoy cooking and will often ask the player about food.
In Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer Normal villagers got more focused on fashion and style, reading a lot of books about, they got also sillier than before, resembling more the cloudcuckoolander Peppy personality.
Below are some (not all) quotes made by normal villagers.
- "Hey <villager>, do you think we're too normal?"
"I don't know, why don't you ask <player>?"
"Ok, <player>, do you think that we're too normal?"
"Yeah, <villager>; I think we are too normal."
"Oh well. Maybe if everyone's crazy around town, we'll be the normal ones, and that will make us the special ones!"
- "Nice night out, isn't it!"
- "<player>, do you have a cup on you?"
- "It's always a good idea to have a clean cup on you when you go out anywhere."
- "Say, <player>, do you know much about design? You know, Feng Shui?"
- "You should come with me. We'll get lost in the 'splodiness together!" (When referencing the summer fireworks)
- "I do enjoy chatting with you, <player>. I really do, you know. It's just.... I wish I could talk to someone from another town occasionally! After all, variety is like a pinch of cumin in the simmering soup pot of life!"
- "Lately, I've been helping <villager> with some personal training. We've been working so hard, day and night! Let me show you how I do it! Rah, rah! Sis-boom-bah! Goooo, <player>! Woah...Wait, I think that was more of a cheerleader thing. I'm a terrible manager. Excuse me!"
- The Japanese name 'watashi' is a personal pronoun that is used by males and females in formal situations, but only females in casual situations.