|The title of this article is conjectural. An official name for the article's subject has not been found, so it has been given a fitting title by editors. If there is an official name, it is requested that Normal be moved to the correct name.|
Normal villagers (私 Watashi, or 普通 Futsū) (sometimes called sweet or sweetie villagers) are female characters in the Animal Crossing series. The name comes from their neutral opinion on things such as hobbies and other characters such as the player, villagers, and special visitors. They are often kind to the player. As of now, there are 71 normal villagers, making them the most common female personality.
Normal villagers, despite being called "normal," have a lack of self-worth, where they feel self-depreciative. They also appear slightly obsessive with cleanliness and hygiene - a trait also found in peppy villagers. They do not, however, appear to show any concern for their physical appearance, making them happy with what they have. In Wild World, they talk about a friend called Moppina, a non-present mop which reflects on their clean-obsessive nature. They can also have a conversation with a peppy villager about Moppina, which the peppy villager may find funny. They get along very well with every villager and will usually talk about other villagers instead of talking about themselves and their problems. However, They will occasionally talk about themselves and their personal issues. If a normal villager stays in the player's town for a long period of time, she will get rid of all her furniture and when she does leave, she will announce to leave "empty handed, and without anything."
Normal villagers have the easiest time getting along with smug, lazy and other normal villagers, and sometimes even snooty villagers. However, they make each other sad or even angry during a conversation. They may conflict with cranky villagers due to their rude, arrogant, and sour nature. The male equivalent of normal villagers are lazy villagers, who display many similar characteristics to them, including their caring and friendly nature that both personalities share.
They are the mother-like characters in the town, appearing friendly, sweet, and hospitable towards the player and other villagers. They like to use French expressions, too. In the original Animal Crossing, the normal villagers will wake up at 5:00 A.M. and go to sleep at 9:00 P.M. In Wild World, and City Folk, they wake at 5:00 A.M and go to sleep at 1:00 A.M. In New Leaf, they wake up at 6:00 A.M. and go to sleep at 12:00 A.M. They are very rarely (if at all) angry and tend to take insults and disappointment personally, but will apologize even though they may not have done anything. They also seem to enjoy cooking and will often ask the player about food.
In Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, normal villagers got more focused on fashion and style, reading a lot of books about, they got also sillier than before, resembling the peppy personality.
Below are some (not all) quotes made by normal villagers.
- "Hey <villager>, do you think we're too normal?" "I don't know, why don't you ask <player>?" "Ok, <player>, do you think that we're too normal?" -Yes- "Yeah, <villager> I think we are too normal." "Oh well. Maybe if everyone's crazy around town, we'll be the normal ones, and that will make us the special ones!"
- "Nice night out, isn't it!"
- "<player>, do you have a cup on you?"
- "It's always a good idea to have a clean cup on you when you go out anywhere."
- "Say, <player>, do you know much about design? You know, Feng Shui?"
- "You should come with me. We'll get lost in the 'splodiness together!" (When referencing the summer fireworks)
- "I do enjoy chatting with you, <player>. I really do, you know. It's just.... I wish I could talk to someone from another town occasionally! After all, variety is like a pinch of cumin in the simmering soup pot of life!"
- "Wow! I can't seem to bump into anyone else today, <player>! So, what can I do for you?"
- Oooh! <player! Is that your <item>? Wow! How did you score that?! I'm so jealous. I've been looking for one for so long! Anyway, uh... I hope this doesn't sound weird, but would you consider selling me selling me yours for <number> Bells? -Ok- Great! Thank you! You don't know how happy this makes me, <catchphrase>!"
- "Lately, I've been helping <villager> with some personal training. We've been working so hard, day and night! Let me show you how I do it! Rah, rah! Sis-boom-bah! Goooo, <player>! Woah...Wait, I think that was more of a cheerleader thing. I'm a terrible manager. Excuse me!"
- "You again! We're running into each other a lot today, <catchphrase>."
- "I just read a book on how to be a better hostess. i think I'd learn better if I actually had someone over! Would you mind coming over so I could practice for a while?
- When on the way to her house: "I'm not sure if anything's changed since the last time you were over, so just make yourself at home."
- When on the way to her house: "I'm so happy you're coming to my place today, <player>. I'll have to brag about it later to <villager>, <catchphrase>.
- When on the way to her house: "I love it when you visit <player>. I hope you have a good time too!"
- When on the way to her house: "You're becoming quite the regular at my place, <player>!
- When on the way to her house: "I love that you didn't hesitate to accept my invitation. I really admire how decisive you are!
- When you have reached her house: "Well, this is my house! Let me just unlock the door, <catchphrase>."
- Inside her house: "It's nothing fancy, but please make yourself at home!"
- Inside her house: "It's nothing fancy, but I hope you enjoy your visit!"
- Inside her house: "So what do you think of my furniture?" -It's nice- "Oh do you mean it? Let me know if there's a piece of furniture you like. I might be willing to part with it."
- Inside her house: "Do you ever get this sudden urge to clean in the middle of the night? Sometimes I do. I take everything out of storage, reorganize it and put it back properly. You know what I'm talking about, don't you, <player>?"
- Inside her house: "Well... it's not much, but it's home. I've tried to do little things here and there to make it comfortable.
- Inside her house: "Oh that's right! I wanted to show you my beloved gyroid! If you look at a gyroid carefully, you'll notice that each on has a different expression. I just love examining them and trying to figure out their personalities!"
- Inside her house: "My <fish> has been helping me relax lately. On sleepless nights, I just stare at it. It's so calming that it helps me fall asleep"
- Inside her house: "It's a little embarrassing for me knowing that you're inspecting everything in my room."
- Inside her house: "I totally lose time when I use my <music player> to listen to <song>. It's a big problem if I'm cooking. I can't tell you how many things I've burnt because of it."
- Inside her house: "Before you came over, I was a little nervous about being a good hostess. But now that you're here, I'm having too much fun to be nervous anymore."
- Inside her house: "I'm a little picky about where I put things. But the end result is worth it!"
- leaving her house: "Wait, are you heading home? before you go, could you give me your honest opinion of my place?" -It's great!- "Hearing that makes me happy, <catchphrase>! Thank you very much! I'll be sure to keep my place looking good. Today was a lot of fun!"
- "Is everything all right? You look kind of tired. Maybe you should take a break. Drink some <beverage> or something, and rest awhile."
- When hit with a net: “OW! Why are you hitting me like that? You’ve gone to far!”
Names in other languages
- The Japanese name 'watashi' is a personal pronoun that is used by males and females in formal situations, but only females in casual situations.