The part time job is an event that occurs at the beginning of most Animal Crossing games and serves as a tutorial. Upon moving into a town, Tom Nook will give the player the job, to help pay off the first mortgage. The player must report to Tom Nook's Store to get jobs. Before being given the first task, Tom Nook equips the player with a store uniform that must be worn as long as they holds their job. Most jobs are simple things, like delivering furniture, or planting flowers. In City Folk, the city cannot be visited until the player has completed the part time job. After all of Tom Nook's tasks are completed, 1,400 Bells will have been deducted from the mortgage.
The part time job feature was eliminated in New Leaf, as Tom Nook does not own a store anymore. However Tom Nook does make a reference to his old way of giving the player a part time job in all the other Animal Crossing games, calling "low-pay, part-time employment" a slow way of earning bells. Instead, the job has been replaced by the optional Advice for Living Here event that Isabelle offers the player, which serves as that game's tutorial.
Jobs in Animal Crossing
- Change into work clothes.
- Plant flowers.
- Meet the townsfolk (including Mayor Tortimer)
- Make deliveries (such as a piece of furniture or an Axe).
- Perform a task for a villager by asking them for a job.
- Write and send a letter to a specific villager.
- Advertise Tom Nook's Store on the Bulletin Board (nothing demeaning or embarrassing).
Jobs in Wild World
- Plant 3 normal trees and 4 random flowers.
- Talk to everyone in town, including the Mayor.
- Deliver a furniture item to a villager.
- Mail a letter about Tom Nook's shop to a villager.
- Deliver a carpet to a villager.
- Deliver a watering can to a villager.
- Post a message on the Bulletin Board about Tom Nook's shop.
Jobs in City Folk
- Change into the 'work clothes' Tom Nook gives the player.
- Plant 7 flowers and saplings outside Nook's Cranny.
- Make a delivery to a villager in the form of furniture.
- Write and post a letter to a designated villager.
- Deliver a carpet to a villager
- Deliver a watering can to a villager (the same one the player wrote a letter to)
- Post a message on the Bulletin Board