|The title of this article is conjectural. An official name for the article's subject has not been found, so it has been given a fitting title by editors. If there is an official name, it is requested that Peppy be moved to the correct name.|
Peppy villagers (アタイ atai, or 元気 genki) (Sometimes called perky) are female characters in the Animal Crossing series. They are incessantly friendly and excitable, making them very quick to apologize for anything they regret doing, even if they had not done anything particularly wrong. As of now, there are 65 peppy villagers. The Japanese name Genki comes from Wild World, where it is referenced in the game's files. It has not been mentioned outside of the game by Nintendo.
They speak with chipper, bouncy voices and enjoy cheering when talking with player/players and other villagers; they are rarely discouraged from doing anything. They come out of their homes often. In the original Animal Crossing, they go to sleep at 11:30 PM and wake up at 7:00. In Wild World and City Folk they usually go to sleep at 2:30 AM and wake up at 7:00 AM. In New Leaf, they wake up at 9:00 A.M. and go to sleep at 1:00 A.M. They are always excited to see the player. They have short attention spans and wild imaginations. They express a number of aspirations which they will often share with the player such as their numerous claims to stardom as a pop star or diva. They have a tendency to say stereotypical valley girl words and phrases like "omigosh!!!" and "like" (as in, "That is, like, so cool!"). When they are describing certain things, they often use "SOOOO!" and "totally!" They commonly say a long, drawn-out "Yaaaay!" to show excitement and tend to claim they are hyper because they eat candy frequently. Peppy villagers are considered the female equivalents of Jock villagers, who are also energetic and very young and somewhat immature.
They find it easy to get along with other villagers, but may become the center of jokes and gossip created by snooty and cranky villagers, and when either of two are rude, peppy villagers are rude back to them. They get along with normal, lazy, and jock villagers, who naturally avoid making rude comments and share similar lifestyles with them, such as; food with lazy villagers, activities with jock villagers and typical, 'girly' discussions with normal villagers. They do not hesitate to talk to snooty and cranky villagers, but may annoy them with their conflicting habits, such as jumpiness, which conflicts with their refined stature.
Below are some (not all) quotes made by peppy villagers.
- When moving in: "If you come back tomorrow, this place will be totally amazing. I promise, <catchphrase>!"
- When moving in: "I'm done doing so much work for today, but I really have to get this unpacking over with!"
- When moving in: "I should unpack my furniture first... but my clothes will get even more wrinkly, <catchphrase>!"
- "Hiya, <Player>! What's going on, <catchphrase>"
- "Pete's super busy making deliveries today. He'd better be careful with all my fan letters! I'm expecting him to drop off, like, a whole bunch of 'em. I'd better clean up my mailbox to make room! - NL
- "Hey, <player>! I keep hearing people say you're, like, totally a <rumor>. I'm way jealous that you're the center of attention right now! That's supposed to be my job!"
- "So if you were to try any of these extremely, extreme things, which would it be?" -Tightrope walking.- "Me too! I've tried it on a clothesline. But it didn't turn out so well. Still, a girl can dream, <catchphrase>!
- "Anytime I see <male villager> and <female villager> hanging out together, I'm all like, look at those two! They seem to have the perfect relationship. Nothing too serious, but totally not shallow, either. Sometimes I forget that friends are for fun, you know? We could learn a lesson from those two!"
- "Hey, <player>, ever wanted to be a pop star?" -Always!- "Yeah, me too! Well then, let me tell you what I think the next wave of stars should be like! They can't just sing and dance! People admire pop stars, right? They have to use their influence! I think they should really encourage people to eat more healthy, yummy fruit, <catchphrase>! so they should juggle fruit on stage! Yeah, just imagine if I did that with a/an <town fruit> or three! I'd be a fruit salad star, <player>!"
- "I love to get my groove on! Dancing is sooooo good for you-for your body and brain! Plus, I always get super pumped up when I hear my favorite songs!"
- "You love to yak, don't you? Me TOO! Let's talk!"
- "I know this is totally out of the blue, but have you ever dreamed of becoming a star? -Of course!- "You have?! Well, I didn't realize there were TWO of us in this town, <catchphrase>. But I'll share the spotlight with you! You'd make a good costar, <player>"
Names in other languages
- The Japanese name 'atai' is a personal pronoun that is effeminate and informal.
- In New Leaf, peppies have the highest-pitched voice of all the personalities.