|Service|| Post Office|
Town Hall (WW, CF)
Banking (AC, Wild World)
None at all,
None at all.
|Appearances||AF, AF+, AC, AFe+, WW, CF, NL, HHD, Dōbutsu no Mori|
|Regional names|| Peggy|
唐丽 Táng lì
"With the town hall open 24 hours a day, I see way too much of the people in this town."Phyllis (ぺりみ, Pelimi?) is a pelican who works the night shift as a clerk for the Post Office and Town Hall in the Animal Crossing series. She is the older, considerably the more anti-social, aloof, and arrogant sister of Pelly, who works the day shift. The two are virtually opposites.
— Phyllis, City Folk
When Phyllis is working, unique music will play inside the Town Hall that reflects Phyllis' irritated mood and snappy conversation. Like Lyle and Zipper T. Bunny, she doesn't enjoy her job and will always display a rude attitude towards the player and any visitors in the town.
She has a very similar personality to snooty and cranky villagers, and villagers do not appear to be fond of her. When talking to the player, she will often mutter things under her breath (shown in gray text in-game; spoken in Bebebese), as she does not seem to enjoy having to work so late, which is probably the reason she appears grumpy. Once the player becomes more acquainted to her through having conversations at the Roost, she will become a bit nicer to the player.
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Phyllis's obnoxiousness is oddly absent, the game instead portraying her simply as overwhelmed by the night shift and somewhat vapid towards the player.
AppearancePhyllis is unique in her appearance compared to the other pelicans in the series. She has a noticeable sclera that surrounds her pupil, while Pete and Pelly both only have pupils on their white plumage. Phyllis also has violet plumage, with white feathers on the end of her wings. She also wears black eye-liner and mascara, with lilac eye-shadow. She also wears red lipstick on the end of her bill.
In Animal Crossing
"Hmm? What?! (Tch! It's a customer!)"In Animal Crossing, Phyllis works at the Post Office from 7 PM to 7 AM. She is very rude to her customers, but doesn't have a very developed character.
— Phyllis in Animal Crossing, when starting a conversation.
In Wild World
One of her civic duties is to tell the player the current status of the town environment. She gives a more detailed answer than her sister Pelly by telling the player to plant more trees or flowers, while Pelly will only suggest to "add more green".
It is also in 'Animal Crossing: Wild World' where some of her personal life is revealed. The rumor that there is a romance between Phyllis and Pete first appears in Wild World, with some villagers stating they have seen them kissing at night. Peppy villagers may mention that she appears very caring to her younger sister, Pelly. This can also be made apparent to the player when she is spoken to in The Roost, as she will openly consider asking Pelly to take over her night shift, but then state that she "can't do that" to her soon after, whilst bearing a remorseful expression. Phyllis can sometimes be found in The Roost from 9:30 PM to 9:55 PM on any day of the week. The player can talk to her and listen to her complain about working nights and how bitter the coffee is. Normal villagers may mention that they have seen her crying at night in the Town Hall, but no further explanation is given. She is very unpopular with older villagers such as cranky or snooty villagers who make rude comments about her, snooty villagers say that her makeup looks like a clown's and cranky villagers call her annoying.
In City Folk
Phyllis still works in the Town Hall, performing much the same role as in the previous installment. As with Wild World, villagers often talk about rumors that her co-worker, Pete, is in love with her. This is later confirmed if the player meets Pete while he delivers letters. He may ask the player questions about the sisters, such as "Are you more of a Phyllis or a Pelly?" He always says he is more of a Phyllis.
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Phyllis retains the same role of working the late hours at the post office, but she is now in a separate building from the town hall. Instead, it is now located with other buildings in Main Street. It is first building on the left, next door to Nook's Homes and the Happy Home Showcase. Unlike her sister , Phyllis does not show any emotion when the player pays off their loans.
In Animal Crossing Movie
|Warning: Spoilers start here.|
At K.K. Slider's concert Phyllis sits next to Pelly, then when the festival starts she and Pelly are at the booth for catching little balls on a hook. Pelly catches one and Phyllis says "See, you can catch one!" In the movie, Phyllis works the night shift at the town center. Even though she does not appear there, she is mentioned when Ai meets Pelly at the Town Hall for the first time. Just like in the games, it is mentioned that Town Hall is open for 24 hours.
|Spoilers end here.|
Pete has feelings for her, but she appears to dislike him.
CameoPhyllis appears as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii. She features on the trophy alongside Pelly.
Super Smash Bros Brawl Trophy Information
"Sisters who work at the town hall, which is open 24 hours a day. The younger Pelly is at the window from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., while Phyllis has the night shift. Pelly's cheerful and polite manner makes her the model of good customer service. Phyllis, however, is snooty and treats everyone with impatience and disdain. That said, she's very efficient at her job."
|Warning: Theory starts here.|
The character, Zipper T., who appears during Bunny Day in City Folk has a noticeable zipper on his back. Some players believe he is actually another character in disguise. One theory is that Phyllis is wearing the costume, because she is known to talk under her breath similar to Zipper T. However, like Tortimer, she is still visible in Town Hall during her working hours.
|Theory ends here.|
- Though Phyllis normally comes off as more negative than Pelly, if the players chooses "ask for a present" when at the post office and they have already received the gift, she will simply say that they have already claimed it. Unlike Pelly, who sarcastically says that the player has made an "honest mistake".
- The personality difference between Phyllis and her sister Pelly is also reflected in the coffee they like. Pelly has a little bit of milk and sugar in her coffee, unlike Phyllis who has none. This implies that Pelly is 'sweeter' than Phyllis. Also, Phyllis is the only character who does not compliment the players (i.e. make them blush) when they make her coffee exactly the way she likes it.
- In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Phyllis has the voice of a snooty villager.
- In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, if the player stands in front of Phyllis when she's working her shift and uses any of the positive emotions they may have, Phyllis will get annoyed and frown.
- "They keep promising me an assistant or an automatic mail sorter or some kind of help, but it never comes. And folks wonder why I'm grumpy all the time!"
- "I can't even count how many years I've been working there. I really should have quit a long time ago. But I don't really have any skills… And I'm too old to learn."
- "You seem kinda clueless, so let me give you a tip, gal to gal. ALWAYS WEAR SENSIBLE SHOES! Unless you have wings. Then it doesn't matter."
- "Sigh... I hope 'that fool' doesn't come bother me here again today… I'm not interested!"
- "Oh, ok. Close the door on your way out. (And be quick about it!)" (in Animal Crossing)