Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|On trees||6,000 Bells|
|Size||Available in rain|
|Time of year||Time of day|
|July to August||11pm to 8am|
|Scientific name||Chrysina resplendens|
|Family||Scarabaeidae - Scarab Beetles|
|Appearances||WW, CF, NL|
|Regional names|| Scarabée |
- "I caught a scarab beetle! Pfff. I've seen scarier!" —New Leaf
The scarab beetle (プラチナコガネ, Purachinakogane?) is a rare bug that appears in the Animal Crossing series . It looks like a Fruit Beetle in size and shape, with only the golden color separating it, and also the Dung Beetle which is purple and slightly larger. It can be sold for 6,000 bells.
Donating to the museum
In Wild World
- "Hoo my! Many thanks for donating such a valuable insect, wot wot! This scarab beetle is as valuable as its weight in purest platinum! Disgusted I may be, but I shan't turn down such a pricey donation! Cheers!"
- Once donated, the scarab beetle can be found on the top of of a cedar tree. It is directly below the cedar tree furthest to the left when using the northern entrance to the second room.
In City Folk
- "From the gorgeous to the grotesque, the fruit-beetle family has a wide variety of members, indeed... Among them, the shiniest by far is the scarab beetle. Not that it makes any bit of difference to me. If it has antennae, it's most unconscionably vile..."
It can be found on the top terrace of the bug exhibit, on the second cedar tree from the right - sharing it with the Fruit Beetle.
In New Leaf
Blathers will no longer give a description upon receiving the bug, but the museum description is as follows:
- "Scarab beetles have elegant, metallic-looking bodies and are shinier even than fruit beetles. They're so shiny that they're said to gleam like gold. They're very rare and can be sold for high prices. Like all beetles in the scarab family, the outer shell provides a very thick layer of protection from predators. The high value and golden shell do make them more vulnerable when it comes to Bell hunters, though."
The scarab beetle is found in the northeast room of the bug exhibit, sharing a tree with the Jewel Beetle in the far right corner.
- "I caught a scarab beetle! It looks like a jewel!" —Wild World
- "I caught a scarab beetle! A gem of the bug world. But still just a bug." —City Folk
| "Their shine is so great they look plated. These bugs are very rare and very valuable."|
Further informationChrysina resplendens (also known as Golden Scarab Beetle or Jewel Scarab Beetle) gets its common name from its elegant, metallic body, which is said to "gleam like gold", and even its scientific name (Chrysina meaning golden, and resplendens meaning shining and resplendent). It was once known as Plusiotis resplendens. They are native to South America, being most prevalent in Costa Rica. For obvious reasons, they are prized and sell for alarmingly high prices. The young larvae can be found living in rotten logs, while the adults live on foliage.
The Animal Crossing beetle is based off the genus Plusiotis, a group of beetles in South America.
Scarab Beetles are actually a diverse family of beetles coming in hundreds of shapes, sizes and colors. This golden species is virtually one-of-a-kind; the famous Egyptian references come from the dusky black Dung Beetles that made their home there.