Shells are plentiful items that wash up on the beach of all Animal Crossing series games. They are a small, yet easy source of Bells. Shells are especially useful the first few days to obtain enough Bells to buy tools, such as the fishing rod or net.
Shells respawn on the beach more quickly in Animal Crossing: New Leaf than in previous titles in the series. Some shells also contain hermit crabs, which appear on the island in both Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Animal Forest e+.
Shell Prices and Game Availability
|Name||Image||Sale price||Animal Crossing||Wild World||City Folk||New Leaf|
|Dall's Top (Sea-snail Shell)||90|
|Sakuragai (サクラガイ)||N64 only.||80|
Prices and availability of shells are the same in Wild World and City Folk.
- In Animal Crossing: Wild World, Scallops can be traded in the Golden Axe Trading Event to obtain the Golden Axe or Pascal's Pic. They can be obtained from Tortimer in exchange for a massage chair. But sometimes found on the beach
- In Animal Crossing: City Folk, Scallops can be traded with Pascal for a piece of ship-themed furniture.
- In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, when a Scallop is caught in the village Pascal sometimes appears and requests it. If given Pascal will eventually trade a piece of furniture.
- Coral (Corallium rubrum)
- Dall's Top (Calliostoma unicum)
- Giant Clam (Tridacna gigas)
- Lion's Paw (Lyropecten nodosus)
- Pearl Oyster (Pinctada radiata)
- Sand Dollar (Astriclypeus manni)
- Scallop (Patinopecten yessoensis)
- Venus Comb (Murex pecten)
- Wentletrap (Epitonium scalare)
- White Scallop (Tridacna squamosa)
- A search for for Dall's Top on a search engine returns only Animal Crossing series references. These names were put in place as the specific shell species do not have a common (non-scientific) name in English, which is common for creatures like shellfish where there are thousands of different types which are rare and infrequently discussed. Dall's Top is known as Calliostoma unicum. The name Dall's Top was used as the shell was named by malacologist W. H. Dall. A similar concept happened with the Walker Cicada where the name was a result of the species having no common name, thus the name of the person who originally described the species was used.
- The Porceletta is a type of Cowry shell.
- In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, when giving a Giant-Clam Shell to Cyrus together with a K.K. Slider song, he will make a Music Box for the player.