|The title of this article is conjectural. An official name for the article's subject has not been found, so it has been given a fitting title by editors. If there is an official name, it is requested that Smug be moved to the correct name.|
Smug (ボク Boku, or キザ Kiza) is a new personality in New Leaf. They are very polite, kind, and gentleman-like, and will easily get along with other villagers. They seem to be a mix between all personality types and are lively, kind, and positive, but may come off as conceited. In Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, Smugs tend to have a bigger ego and talk about how much they're cool most of the time and cooler than everyone else. They also will occasionally flirt with the player, especially if they are female. They wake up at 8:30 am and sleep at 2:00 am (in New Leaf). So far there are 35 smug villagers throughout the game and notably, some villagers in previous Animal Crossing games have had their personalities changed to smug for New Leaf.
They generally get along with peppy, normal, lazy and other smug villagers. They may have trouble getting along with cranky, jock and uchi villagers, despite the latter being a counterpart of smug villagers.
Below are some (not all) quotes made by smug villagers.
- "How goes it, <player>! If I may be so bold, you're looking as cool as [nods] a fair number of cucumbers."
- "Hey, <player>. Seems quiet today, huh? Like, too quiet. <catchphrase>."
- "Hey, <player>. I feel like we need more dancing happening right now. Shoom! [does flourish emote] OK, that's a little better."
- "Hey, that's not cool, <player>! I will suffer your slings and arrows no more, <catchphrase>!"
- (in a player's house) "Oh, an <instrument>...So you not only listen to music, but you can play an instrument...<player>! We should totally have a jam session! [does joy emote] I'll bring the acoustic guitaaaaar!"
- (when a new villager is moving in) "It looks like a new house is being built here in town, <catchphrase>! I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of girl is moving in...Ah, we still don't know if it's a girl or not, huh? I suppose a boy would be fine as well. Hah ha!"
- (When the sky is clearing up after rain) "When the weather is like this, let's just dance to refresh ourselves! [flourish emote]"
- (during December) "Hey, <player>! Do you know how super busy it gets when December starts? Jingle the Holiday Reindeer! <catchphrase>! Around this time, I bet he's trying to figure out what kind of presents we all want! I just get so excited around this time of year! Aren't you excited too, <player>?"
- "...Maybe you're getting tired, <player>? Don't push yourself too hard, all right? Sometimes it's good to take a break even when you don't really have to..."
- "Isn't it so romantic sending letters across the world to those you love and admire...? And when you finally hear back? It's the greatest feeling imaginable! The one in charge of delivering all those vital letters is Pete, the mail pelican...Thanks to him, the world is filled with the hope and promise of love!"
- "It seems we don't have any events for the next few days, <player>. But maybe it's a test to see what you would do in a situation like this, <catchphrase>. For example, you could stage an elaborate play based on my life! And I could star in it! You see all the radically different and wonderful things you could do?"