|Species|| Spirit Animal Forest, Animal Crossing|
Genie City Folk
|Service|| Spirit Begger|
Genie of the "Empty" Lamp
|Regional names|| Buhu |
"Tah-Dahh!"Wisp (ゆうたろう, Yutarou?) is a spirit (Animal Crossing)/genie (City Folk) that appears in the Animal Crossing series in the early hours of the morning (usually between 12 AM to 4 AM). He is absent in Animal Forest, Wild World and initially New Leaf, though he is set to appear in a future update.
— Wisp, City Folk
The player can find him randomly between the times of 12:00 AM to 4:00 AM. They must catch spirits with their net or find his lamp.
As a reward he gets rid of all weeds in town, paints the player's roof, gives out an item, or in later versions of the game, kills all the roaches in the player's house.
In Animal Crossing
In Animal Crossing, the player will need to capture 5 spirits roaming around the town, and return them to Wisp (who stays in the same acre he is found in). His reward is one of three things:
- He will remove all the weeds in the player's town.
- He will give the player a randomly selected item (furniture, clothing, wallpaper, flooring, or gyroid) that they don't yet have in their catalog.
- He will re-color the roof of the player's house.
In Animal Crossing: City Folk
In City Folk, the player will have to find the Empty Lamp somewhere in the town. The rewards Wisp gives are essentially the same as in Animal Crossing, only the Roof painting was changed to the ability to smash roaches, as the roof paint could be bought from all of Tom Nook's Stores (apart from Nook's Cranny), and the random item reward has been updated to give the player a chance to get a random accessory or hat, which they may not already have available in their catalogue. However, the item is usually not rare. Also, if the player doesn't have it in their catalog and they select hat then Wisp will give the player a turban instead.
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf
While Wisp was absent in the initial launch of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, an update coming in fall 2016 will add him to the game. He wears his genie-esque outfit from City Folk, but can now be talked to to scan in amiibo.
- It is possible to get Wisp more than once.
- In Animal Crossing, Wisp will mutter something about a master and what he will do if the spirits aren't recovered.
- Ironically, in City Folk, Wisp says that he is scared of ghosts, even though he is one.
- In New Leaf, a weed-removing function can be accessed through Leif once Timmy and Tommy's store upgrades to T.I.Y., in which the player can pay him bells so that he will remove all of the town's weeds, essentially making Wisp's weed removing reward useless.
- Wisp looks similar to Boos from the Super Mario series.
- In New Leaf, Wisp has the voice of a lazy villager.